Position title: Case Manager – Youth Focus
Reports to: Director, Community Integration Services
Organizational overview: Reception House Waterloo Region is a non-profit organization that enables the successful resettlement of newly arrived refugees by providing temporary accommodation and orientation, assistance securing permanent housing, ongoing settlement and intensive case management services.
The Youth Case Manager is responsible for a youth caseload and delivering youth specific programs and initiatives. The candidate’s primary goal is to help refugee youth adjust to life in Canada, access required services and assist with integration into the community for a period of twelve – eighteen months, depending on assessed need. The Case Manager will work with the program team and oversee homework club, recreational night, as well as arranging youth related field trips, holiday programming, orienting youth and managing volunteers. The Case Manager will consult with clients on a regular basis, to identify settlement needs, set goals and develop, implement and monitor a plan to meet those needs over the course of their settlement journey. The Youth Case Manager will make client referrals to the appropriate community services that will contribute to well-being and empower settlement and integration. The Youth Case Manager is responsible for maintaining ongoing reports, statistics and client feedback, as well as to participating in professional development activities and performing other duties as assigned. The objective of this position is to ease youth’s transition to life in Canada and assist them along the path to self-sufficiency, wellness, belonging and achieving their potential.
- Provide orientation and identify refugee youth needs in order to refer youth to the appropriate community services, including Reception House youth programming, in order to facilitate their positive integration into the community, contribute to wellbeing and quality of life and reduce isolation.
- Work alongside case managers, families, and community partners to provide holistic support for youth within their family and community context.
- Work with the Youth program team to coordinate and facilitate educational and recreational programs for youth.
- Work with volunteer coordinator to recruit, train, and manage volunteers for youth programming.
- Oversee other staff, student placements and volunteers who support this program
- Strengthen collaboration and partnership with local agencies serving newcomer youth.
- Maintain well-documented, up-to-date files for all clients and program activities.
- Assist with the development of grants and fundraising initiatives to support growth and sustainability of youth programs.
- Support evaluation by maintaining effective records, collecting on-going statistics and client feedback.
- Meet regularly with and prepare comprehensive monthly reports for program supervisor.
- Participate in professional development activities and training as requested by supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum post-secondary education (i.e. community college degree or certificate) in recreation or related field
- Group facilitation and youth programming experience and/or training
- Experience working with volunteers
- Case Management experience desirable
- Ability to work in a culturally diverse environment
- Computer skills in MS Office
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to work evenings and occasional weekend work as required
- Travel within Waterloo Region required
- Mobile – Reception House and partner locations
- High stress environment
- Physical requirements: able to lift 25lbs, bend, sit, stand and climb stairs.
Resume and cover letter are to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. We request that candidates please send their cover letter and resume together as one combined document (Word.doc, PDF etc.) and write “Recreation Coordinator” in the email subject line. No phone calls please.
Reception House Waterloo Region will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.