Position title: Case Manager
Position type: Full-time, 35 hours per week; weekend and evening hours may be required
Closing date: June 19, 2019
Organization overview: Reception House Waterloo Region is a non-profit organization that provides settlement services to refugees in Waterloo Region. We are looking for a motivated, well-organized and experienced individual, familiar with newcomer issues and the Waterloo Region, to provide case management to refugee families and individuals. The Case Manager is a self-starter and resourceful individual with strong communication and interpersonal skills and is able to meet the challenges of working with a culturally diverse group of clients. Reception House programming provides a supportive environment to help refugees build upon their resiliency and strength and empower them to achieve self-sufficiency and independence.
Job summary: The Case Manager will provide intensive case management to newly arrived refugees during their first two years in Canada. Case Managers hold a case load, comprised of individuals and families, and will assist them to integrate into the community, providing support according to level of needs and language. Job duties include: completing initial intake assessment and orientation, scheduling and accompanying clients to appointments, home visits and follow-up, system navigation and advocacy, attending community outreach and training events. The Case Manager will maintain electronic files, and provide on-going updates to his/her Supervisor, and ensure data input and reporting is completed in a timely manner and participate in team meetings. The Case Manager is committed to Reception House’s vision and mandate of empowering refugee families to settle and integrate into the wider community and will uphold Reception House’s core values of respect, non-violence, equality, and team work.
- University Degree in Social Work or a Community College Diploma, preferably in Social Services, Counselling, Children and Youth, Psychology, or related fields (and with relevant practicum experience) with at least 1-2 year minimum experience providing direct case management service to refugees and immigrants and/or other vulnerable populations;
- Registered and in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers or eligible for registration at the time of employment is preferred;
- Fluency in English is required (verbal and written), while advanced knowledge of a second language is an asset – Somali, strongly preferred – or, any combination of those languages that currently represent the refugee client population;
- Superior knowledge of immigration and public policy and how it affects refugees;
- Must be flexible, reliable, punctual, professional, able to work independently and as part of a team and manage stressful situations;
- Strong administrative and computer skills and proven knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and database systems;
- Valid Ontario driver’s license and reliable means of transportation for local travel is required;
- Must be willing to complete police background check.
Resumes and cover letters are to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. We request that candidates please send their cover letter and resume together as one combined document (Word.doc, PDF etc.) and write “Case Manager” in the email subject line. Only those invited to an interview will be notified.
Reception House is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
75 Queen St. South, Suite 201 Kitchener,ON N2M 1A1 | receptionhouse.ca