The Client Support Services Program (CSS) provides specialized, intensive case management style support to all Government Assisted Refugees (GARs) arriving at Reception House and settling in the Waterloo Region. CSS aims to ensure that GARs gain access to the services they require to settle into their new home.
CSS supports GARs who have needs that make their settlement in Canada a challenging experience. These may include: pre-migration experiences fleeing from war and armed violence, severe physical and mental health conditions, low levels of education and work experience due to living for many years in refugee camps, or crisis events post-arrival. CSS services aim to meet these often complex and diverse needs of refugees.
Case Workers are assigned to assist individuals and families throughout their first year in Canada. CSS Case Workers accompany clients to appointments, provide interpretation and refer clients to appropriate social and settlement services.
CSS’s main activities include:
- Providing in-depth, flexible and coordinated support to all GAR families and individuals coming to Reception House-Waterloo Region
- Case coordination, information and referrals, which includes a settlement plan based on an initial needs assessment
- Provide information about and referral to other service providers and mainstream agencies
- Collaboration with local service providers to increase community capacity to meet GARs needs
- Advocating in the community to ensure greater awareness of refugee issues and needs
- Empowering GAR Youth through various recreational and educational activities through the Youth Program