Position title: Settlement Support Worker
Position type: Casual; immediate start; includes evenings/weekends
Reports to: Residence Manager
Reception House Waterloo Region is a non-profit organization that provides settlement services to refugees in Waterloo Region. We are looking for a motivated, well-organized and experienced individual, familiar with newcomer issues and the community, to contribute to the efficient day-to-day operations at our temporary accommodation site and provide settlement support to refugee families in the community. The Settlement Support Worker is a competent and resourceful individual with strong communication and interpersonal skills and is able to meet the challenges of working with a culturally diverse group of clients and their families. The Settlement Support Worker is committed to Reception House’s vision and mandate of empowering refugee families to settle and integrate into the wider community and will uphold Reception House’s core values of respect, non-violence, equality, and team work.
- Relate with diverse range of clients in residence
- Responsible for working in a healthy and safe manner
- Program responsibilities, as assigned (support move in/out; orientation to residence and house rules)
- Provide training to families on proper cleaning, use of cleaning supplies, storage of groceries, cleaning of appliances and modern amenities.
- Observe and supervise families to demonstrate they can safely take care of their permanent accommodation
- Perform front desk, janitorial and housekeeping duties at Reception House’s temporary accommodation
- Provide interpretation and/or translation if applicable/as needed
- Accompany clients to appointments as well as provide any other practical life skill support and systems navigation that will help refugee individuals and families settle in their new community (field trips, practical demonstrations, etc.), as directed.
- Maintain open communication with all Reception House staff
- Attend staff meetings as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Understand and be committed to the Reception House mission (www.receptionhouse.ca)
- PSW preferred; High School graduate and/or some relevant post-secondary education
- Thorough knowledge or awareness of the refugee experience or experience working with immigrants and refugees desired
- Ability to clearly explain and model instructions to others
- Willingness to work in clients’ home
- Due to current newcomer demographics, fluency in English language and any other language or combination of languages (e.g. Tigrigna, Arabic, Burmese, and Somali) is desired.
- Knowledge of services in the Waterloo Region; Cambridge based preferred
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Computer skills in MS Office
- Knowledge of community resources
Hours of work
- The Settlement Support Worker’s hours will be arranged in consultation with the designate. We are 24 hour operations, hired candidate will be expected to be available to work mornings, afternoons, evenings and weekends as scheduled. Full G license and Sector vulnerable check are required for this position.
Resume and cover letter are to be submitted to email@example.com by 4:00 pm on Friday, August 31, 2018. We request that candidates please send their cover letter and resume together as one combined document (Word.doc, PDF etc.) and write “Settlement Support Worker” in the email subject line.
675 Queen St. South, Suite 201 Kitchener,ON N2M 1A1 | receptionhouse.ca