Position title: Service Coordinator
Position type: Full time, 35 hours per week
Wage: 21.03 / hr
Start date: October, 2018
Reports to: Program Director at Community Justice Initiatives
Scope of Position
Community Justice Initiatives is accepting applications for a Service Coordinator in the New Canadian Youth Connections program, a program delivered in partnership with Reception House Waterloo Region. This position is a result of collaboration between Reception House and CJI. A Collaborative Team will inform and support the initiative.The Service Coordinator will work closely with the Director of Programs and Reception House Waterloo Region New Canadian Youth Connections staff and will be responsible for the continued development and implementation of a Newcomer youth peer support program. The position involves collaborative team work with CJI and Reception House staff and leadership from both organizations; as well as community capacity building through engaging with local service providers in the Waterloo Region.
Community Justice Initiatives is an organization which has pioneered innovative programs in restorative justice for 40 years. Our mission is to inspire safe, healthy and peaceful communities, one resolution at a time.
Reception House Waterloo Region is a community-based organization that provides a warm welcome to government-assisted refugees (GARs) through a number of programs and services designed to make their new life in Canada a success.
- Develop and implement a supportive circle model to assist refugees to cultivate a network of support and friendships with community volunteers
- Work in partnership with staff from Reception House, providing consultation and training as required.
- Develop further relationships with other community partners
- Continue to adapt CJI’s current Stride Circle models, processes and materials to reflect the needs of government assisted refugees
- Design, plan and facilitate regular recreation programming to encourage volunteer and refugee relationships that occur 3 times per week
- Recruit, train and supervise volunteers
- Facilitate annual program evaluation and initiate annual planning day
Skills, Competencies and Requirements:
- Post-secondary education in the social services field and /or experiential equivalent
- Excellent leadership and organizational capabilities, along with great people skills
- In-depth understanding of restorative justice philosophy and principles
- Knowledge of the Immigrant & Settlement services sector
- Multilingual – Arabic and Somali languages desired
- Experience with social recreation program planning, working with volunteers, large and small group facilitation skills
- Experience and knowledge of working with refugee populations
- Ability to ensure a high level of confidentiality
- Must have availability to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings and
- Must have access to reliable transportation, a valid Ontario G class licence and minimum $1M liability insurance
- Police reference check (including vulnerable sector) will be required
This posting will be open until September 21, 2018. Please apply with a cover letter and resume to:
Community Justice Initiatives
49 Queen St. N., Kitchener, ON N2H 2G9
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CJI welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.